Thursday, 24 October 2013

profile marine coutroutsios - artist.


 

paper artist marine coutroutsios
For the final installment in my three part series featuring Art Pharmacy artists, I'm incredibly excited to share the work of French paper sculptor extraordinaire Marine Coutroutsios. I absolutely love Marine's creations, particularly her pieces pictured above inspired by Australian birds, such as the black cockatoo, sulfur crested cockatoo and rosellas, so very clever!
Since graduating from Nîmes University in France Marine has worked as an interior designer,yet in more recent years since moving to Sydney has focused solely on her first love - paper. Beginning with a sketch Marine intricately turns the paper to life making numerous incisions to create depth and shape. A delicate balance between representation and abstraction you can't help but want to reach out and touch them. You can checkout Marine's incredible work here and here.


How would you describe yourself?
Creative, curious, calm, crafty, open-minded.

What was your childhood dream?
An architect.



What led you down your current path?
Before becoming a full time artist I studied visual arts, worked as a sculptor, then studied interior design and worked in Paris.

What do you love most about what you do?
I really love the process of creation and the time required to achieve it. It's a kind of meditation which ends with the appreciation of the viewer.


Where do feel most inspired?
Anywhere with a sketchbook.

Can you explain your approach/process in creating a piece?
Every piece start with several sketches to mature an idea. I love this first phase because I need a pen in my hand to think. Then the cutting phase takes a lot of hours to finish the piece.

What do you hope people get out of your work?
I'd like my work to bring a sense of peace and a glimpse of beauty, and to make people think about their own relationship with their surroundings.

Who do you admire?
People who are true to themselves and people following their dreams.



What challenges have you had to overcome?
Moving to a new country, with a new language and a new culture. Which was a very exciting challenge!

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
I'm still amazed to live on the other side of the world and to be able to live my dream.
What are your top inspiring resources?
Travels, podcasts, exhibitions and the internet.

Do you have a dream creative project?
I'd love to create something big and open to be experienced by everyone.


What are you currently coveting in the world of design?
I don't really feel the need to possess things, but I love well designed and simple objects

What's next?
A collective show, some Christmas windows, a featuring in a magazine, and keep creating everyday.



When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - flipping through my books, curled up in the sofa with a cup of tea.
Watch - The clouds' run in the wind.
Cook  - I’d love to cook more but usually don't take time to do it
Create - Anything that makes me happy.
Listen to - The waves.
Dream about - The next travel.
Look forward to - The next creative challenge.