Thursday, 5 September 2013

profile magdalene bufalino - cubbylove.






Magda and Jai of Cubbylove
Bunting and pom poms have been all the rage for quite some time and my appreciation for the festive decorations hasn't waned in the slightest, particularly when I spy a slightly different take on them like those from Cubbylove. Based in Brisbane Cubbylove is the creation of Magdalene Bufalino who credits her partner Jai as providing a helping hand. Together they produce fun homewares and decor which simply make you smile. Timber bunting, pom pom trimmed cushions, adorned with cross stitch, and colourful pot plant holders. Described by Magdalene as a collection of "nice things to make your house feel loved," her range certainly does evoke a lovely homemade feel. I am sure you'll like it too, head here to checkout Cubbylove's entire range.

How would you describe yourself?
Honest, Friendly, Tenacious, Creative, Silly.

What was your childhood dream?
To be a ballerina.

What led you down your current path?
Wanting to fill my life with things I love.(Pretty things, lovely people, and a fun creative job)


What do you love most about what you do?
It feels great to be creating my own opportunities. I love being my own boss and all of the challenges and freedoms that come with it. 

Where do feel most inspired?
On long car trips with Jai. We always do our best thinking/talking while driving. 

 
Who do you admire?
Local Brisbane Underwear Designer Lis Harvey is someone I admire. She had a great idea and has executed it so delightfully through her label Nico Underwear

What challenges have you had to overcome?
I think the biggest challenge was biting the bullet and leaving my desk job to pursue this creative adventure with Cubbylove. There is something pretty scary about leaving a stable income to spend the days painting and sewing. However, I feel very lucky that Brisbane is full of young, enthusiastic and encouraging business owners, who have been super supportive. There is a real sense of community and information sharing that goes on, which makes a real difference when you are just starting out. 


What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
I was lucky enough to be featured in Frankie Magazine and Pepperment Magazine, two of my all time favourites. That was pretty nice!

What are your top inspiring resources?
Conversation, Travel, Pinterest, The Design Files.


Do you have a dream creative project?
I also really enjoy costume design and would love to do some creative collaborations at some point.


What are you currently coveting in the world of design?
I love the latest collection of bottle vases by Erin Lightfoot. 

What's next?
I am currently working on my second collection. Keep your eyes pealed!


When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - The paper.
Watch - Orange is the new black.
Cook - A dinner feast for friends.
Create - A cozy place to call home.
Listen to - Avaberee.
Dream about - Tropical holidays.
Look forward to - Summer time!