Sunday, 21 April 2013

profile zillpa - clare collyer.

 

clare collyer of zillpa

Playing around with rope, crocheting, braiding and knot tying resulted in Clare Collyer's fascination with the humble strands and she was soon, roped into a new world of possibilities. Settling on cotton rope stitched together using coloured thread her creations include baskets, bags, dishes and pot holders which are incredibly though and beautifully modern. Who needs to know how you to tie rope, when it looks so good sewn! My favourite from Clare's collection are her hanging rope baskets, as I am quickly developing an obsession with plant holders. Check out Clare's lovely rope creations here or see her work along with a host of other designers who will be showcasing their wares at Brisbane's First Open House from Saturday 11 of May through to June 1st. Stay tuned for several more profiles associated with the Open House and Pop Up Store over the next few weeks.

How would you describe yourself?
Passionate, shy, hard-working, loyal and compassionate.

What was your childhood dream?
To be a ballerina but I didn’t have the feet for it (or the body!).

What led you down your current path?
Having studied my way through half a degree in Graphic Design I realised that I didn’t want to sit in front of a computer all day, I wanted to create physical objects with my hands. I took six months off and enrolled in an Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design at TAFE. I loved every minute of my time at TAFE - I had the most amazing teachers and was lucky enough to travel to China in my last year. After trying to find a job in the Fashion Industry in Brisbane (which is rather small!)I decided to take a leap of faith and start my own business.

What do you love most about what you do? 
I love that I am my own boss and making my own dreams come true.



Where do feel most inspired?
Inspiration hits me anywhere, at anytime. Whether it be walking the dog, that moment just before you fall asleep or driving in the car.

Who do you admire?
I admire anyone who follows their heart and makes their dreams come true. But the person I admire the most would have to be my mum. She is my biggest supporter and her faith in me is unwavering.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
One of my biggest challenges is believing in myself - I’m always second guessing my decisions and ideas. I still find it amazing that there are people out there that what to buy my work or stock my products in their stores!


What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
I’ve only been creating my rope products since just before Christmas last year, so whenever someone buys one of my products it’s a ‘pinch me moment’! But getting an email saying I was accepted into the Sydney Finders Keepers Market has been my highlight this year so far.


What are your top creative resources?
* My family - I rebound ideas of them all the time
* Textile, Design and Home magazines
* I’m crushing on One Sheepish Girl’s blog at the moment.
* Driving up to the Sunshine coast - I love driving past the open spaces and tree plantations.

What is your idea of happiness?
Tucked up on the couch with a crocheted blanket, my dog, a good book and a cup of tea.


What's next?
I’m in the process of developing my next collection - sneak peak: new colours and textiles. As well as sourcing more stockists and interstate market events.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - Novels - at the moment I’m reading Kate Morton’s ‘The Secret Keeper.’
Watch - I’m a sucker for action flicks.
Cook - Anything with mushrooms in it!
Create - I love to crochet - I’m currently working on a big multi-coloured blanket.
Listen to - Spotify.
Dream about - Travelling overseas.
Look forward to- New adventures.