Monday, 29 April 2013

profile white with three - kimmy hogan.


kimmy hogan of white with three

Today's profile is about another creative artist who will be represented at the up-coming Brisbane Open House and Pop Up Gallery. Kimmy Hogan is a Brisbane based graphic artist by day and a print designer by night, who loves playing with shapes and colour and draws a lot of inspiration from her travels as well as her super cute dachshunds Honey and Rio, who are gorgeous! Checkout Kimmy's beautiful range of prints for sale on etsy here. They are all lovely but her sleepy dachshund prints are irresistible. Let's be honest who doesn't love a sausage dog!

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Funny. Creative. Hard-working. Romantic. Sweet.

What was your childhood dream?
To be an artist! Or a teacher.

What led you down your current path?
I studied Graphic Design at University and have been in the industry for over eight years – but it was home interiors that really made my heart sing. A way to be involved with home interiors whilst using my skills was to design art prints – and I absolutely love it! 


What do you love most about what you do?
The design process experimenting with everything from drawing to digital is such a treat when I actually have time! And when people who have bought my art send me photos of it in their home it is the real icing on the cake – it’s so lovely to think that my art is all over the world and putting smiles on people’s faces.


Where do feel most inspired?
When I travel. I was in Germany and New York just a couple of months ago, and we did a huge South America adventure last year. I just can’t get enough of the culture and sights, I go crazy with my camera and collect every flyer and publication I can get my hands on and cart it all home with me!

Who do you admire?
Artists like Beci Orpin, Miranda Skoczek, Kirra Jamison and Rachel Castle. I think their creativity and design style is amazing AND they have all made a career out of being an artist(which is really hard!).

What challenges have you had to overcome?
The biggest challenge is just getting yourself out there! I’ve definitely learnt a lot about blogging, facebook and instagram since starting my business!

 

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
That would be when Beci Orpin bought one of my prints! (It was the Dachshund Sleep Study for her dachshund-loving sister). To have my idol buy one of my prints was just unbelievable!!

What are your top creative resources?



What is your idea of happiness?
I would love to just have a month off to just draw, paint and play on the computer creating new designs – and also potter around the house styling and decorating! Just stopping for cuddles on the couch with my husband and two dachshunds.


What's next?
I’d love to design fabric for lovely homes and lovely clothes! I have some of my favourite fashion labels in my sights…

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – Real Living & Frankie magazine.
Watch- Honey and Rio (my two mini dachshunds) basking in the sun on the veranda.
Cook- Turkish Eggs.
Create- New art prints.
Listen to- Rage(as background music).
Dream about- Creating a fabric range.
Look forward to- A trip to the Woolloongabba Antique Centre.