Sunday, 14 April 2013

profile katie geppert - harvest haversack.



 


katie geppert of harvest haversack
For Melbourne based artist Katie Geppert after 12 years as a graphic designer she was itching to step outside her comfort zone and create something tactile and useful which was environmentally responsible - the result was Harvest Haversack. Combining her skills across design, typography and illustration, not to mention fine needle work, the mulitpurpose drawstring bags are designed as a green alternative to the standard disposable plastic and paper shopping bags. They also look far nicer! Made from a certified organic cotton hemp blend the bags are specifically designed to store food, as they protect it from light, yet the fabric allows suitable airflow and moisture retention, ensuring your carrots stay crisp and your potatoes don't turn a nasty shade of green. Very clever. My favourite is the herb bag which transforms a humble sprig of basil into a bouquet. The perfect accessory for a trip to the farmer's market, bag yourself a bundle here.


How would you describe yourself?
Shy, easy-going, considerate, humorous (sometimes) and a bit of a weirdo.


What was your childhood dream?
I remember wanting to be a veterinarian, a ballet dancer and an artist when I was growing up.


What led you down your current path?
A year ago I resigned from my job as a graphic designer to spend my time more thoughtfully; creating purposeful, tactile designs which focus on minimising our environmental footprint.


What do you love most about what you do?
The creative freedom, and knowing that I’m not only designing quality products that I’m proud of, but address climate change and it’s impacts that affect us today and future generations.

Where do feel most inspired?
No particular place per se. For me, inspiration usually pops up unexpectedly, in a conversation I’ve had, a book I’ve read, in fashion, film, art, or seeing friends and family or just as I’m about to fall asleep at night.


Who do you admire?
So many people! I most admire those who work hard, are passionate, great at what they do, and don’t take themselves too seriously.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
Learning to trust my instincts, to keep things in perspective and not be afraid to put myself out there.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
Receiving an email from Apple asking permission to use one of my images in a marketing campaign.


What are your top creative resources?
Yokoland, David Shrigley, Greedy Hen and This American Life.

What is your idea of happiness?
Just being grateful for everything: the good times and bad times, the love, loss, mistakes and opportunities and all the other life experiences in-between.


What's next?
I am working on some new Harvest Haversack designs. Finally!

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - A cafe menu or wine list.
Watch- My boyfriend being silly.
Cook- Bake.
Create- I work a lot of weekends so create/work is one of the same for me.
Listen to- Vinyl.
Dream about- Making money one day.
Look forward to- Another day off.