Friday, 19 April 2013

artist stefan dunlop + his home.




I've always admired the work of artist Stefan Dunlop, and although I'm no art connoisseur I know what I like and what I love about Stefan's work is his distinctive colour palette and his bold almost tactile brushstrokes which remarkably come together to create 'other wordly' landscapes and scenes. You can see more of his work at the Edwina Corlette Gallery and Scott Livesey Galleries.

 
 


What is also lovely is that Stefan is remarkably down to earth (far from precious 'fine artist' stereotype) and incredibly easy going. He is also quite the builder too as I discovered many years ago when I first visited his amazing hinterland home he shares with his family. In order to create their 'dream house' Stefan and his wife Adrienne decided to project manage the build and did a lot of the hands on work themselves - a high-set architecturally designed home, it was no mean feat.
One of my all time favourite places, so it was an absolute pleasure to revisit it for a Home Beautiful feature.


Although the house is relatively small, it's perfectly formed. Every element is just amazing - the outlook, the mid century modern furniture, the terrariums made by Adrienne, the walls adorned with artwork, the multiple decks, the native landscaping - the butterfly chairs! I must admit I do fall in love with a lot of houses and appreciate many diverse styles, yet this place is my idea of perfection. Read the full article in the current May edition of Home Beautiful.