Sunday, 10 March 2013

profile simone downey - nomuu & ammiki.

 
 
artist simone downey


Endearing is perhaps the best word to describe Simone Downey's artwork. With a beautiful colour palette Simone's collection for her label Nomuu is super sweet and features thoroughly unique characters from her little boy bear to her fox girl and bunny girl who are all dressed for winter in the woods. Equally appealing are her new range of contemporary water colour abstracts from her Ammiki collection. Passionate about supporting the work of fellow independent artists/designers, collectives and small businesses from around the world, Simone also runs a curated gallery called Ammiki. Pop over here for a look at the great site and also stop by Nomuu and Simone's etsy store to view her entire range of art.

 
How would you describe yourself?
Easy going, stubborn (a bit contradictory), friendly and creative.

What was your childhood dream?
To have a house with a white picket fence.






What do you love most about what you do?
That I get to be creative and do whatever comes into my head, and also that I am able to control all aspects of my business.


 


What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
When companies started to contact me about my work.

Do you have muse for your characters?
I think deep down there is a little bit of me in my characters. It's the round faces...I have a round face too, and when friends see my nerdy girl print...they go 'hey that's you'...as I wear glasses too.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
I guess just learning to build up a business and learning how to gain traction. I also have the challenge that about three years ago I got what’s called Degenerative Vitreous Floaters, which can make it very hard to design on the computer (some days are worse than others).

 



Who do you admire? 
Ummmm, let see entrepreneurs. Anyone that gets out there and follows their dreams and questions the status quo.

Where do feel most inspired?
Out in nature.

What led you down your current path?
Decided to experiment with life and do all the things that I kept avoiding.


What are your top creative resources?
I try not to get too involved in design resources as I am too easily influenced by others. I do use Illustrators Australia though, occasionally Pinterest and Dribbble and I guess Etsy.com is a great resource.

I am very much into entrepreneurship though, so I do go listen to mixergy interviews almost religiously, and ted.com.
Music is mixed, at the moment I am listening to classical music, I highly recommend this. But I am not someone that listens to music religiously. 




What is your idea of happiness?
Just enjoying what you do, being able to explore ideas and keeping things relatively simple in life.

What's next?
Building my business up. Getting more clients, delving into children’s book illustration and also developing my other art range ammiki.




When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – The newspaper.
Watch- Old black and white movies. 
Cook- Make up sorbet and ice-cream concoctions. 
Create- Art.

Listen to- At the moment classical music.

Dream about- I don’t really dream that much, I rather take action and start whatever I think about.

Look forward to- Knowing that it’s ok to sleep in.