Monday, 4 February 2013

profile one sunday morning - kate mabin.






 
kate mabin of one sunday morning
Based on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, it seems one Sunday morning, artist Kate Mabin was inspired to reclaim and revive discarded pieces and make something charming. Determined to draw the beauty from pieces which are 'worn, beaten and not so pretty' Kate uses scrap plywood, vintage publications and random objects to create a lovely range of wall art, book hangings, flower presses, jewellery and magnets for her label One Sunday Morning. Sweet, with a retro edge, they also provide a bit of nostalgia for those who remember reading Little Lady Bird books as a kid. View Kate's collection here

How would you describe yourself words? 
Loyal, positive, sarcastic, loving and a little bit childish.

What was your childhood dream? 
To have a beautiful shop selling things that I had made and to own the local milkbar with my brother and sister. I also dreamed of becoming a vet, a primary school teacher and being a member of young talent time.


What led you down your current path? 
As a child, I was always drawing, painting, pasting and making things….it’s constantly been a big part of me. I more recent years, I became more and more disenchanted  with the amount of stuff there was in our world that was just thrown out, so it was imperative that whatever I made, I had to make use of these materials and give them a new life that was valued again. My work is purely a constant evolution.

What do you love most about what you do? 
I love the whole process of creating something from nothing. The meditative flow of my mind when I’m working away at my machine and knowing I’ll have a pile of wood cutouts and a whole lot of sawdust to show for it.


Where do feel most inspired? 
At the beach in the beautiful town I live, sitting on the steps of my family boatshed that was built by my grandfather in the 1950’s.I spent my childhood, teenage years and now my adult life at this beach, on these boatshed steps. It’s where I feel spiritually connected and is the perfect place for me to feel inspired and contemplate life. It’s beautiful to see my children now creating these memories for themselves.

Who do you admire? 
I admire many people, but above all, my pseudo husband. He is amazing in every way.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
Battling my own insecurities.



What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment? 
When I was contacted by my first retailer Page 8 and they wanted to stock my pieces in their store. It was like “Really??? Are you sure??” Thanks for believing in me Rosie xx

What are your top creative resources?
*Green Magazine
*Peppermint Magazine
*My collection of illustrated children’s books
*Yoga

 

What is your idea of happiness? 
Beautiful moments with my partner and our children.

What's next? 
Taking the business to the next level, experimenting with other materials and a releasing new range.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – Newspapers and whatever book’s on my bedside table.
Watch- Usually a B-grade action flick.
Cook- Homemade pizza, a family tradition every Sunday night.
Create- Sweet, sweet memories.
Listen to- Lanie Lane, The Grates, PJ and my charming kids.
Dream about- Family holidays in the sun, the endless possibilities in life and finally finishing and living in the house we’re building.
Look forward to- Working on my new range and homemade pizza.