Monday, 21 January 2013

profile ink & spindle - tegan rose.







lara cameron and tegan rose of Ink & Spindle

Located in an old wool store building in inner city Melbourne the Ink & Spindle studio is an industrious little hub where Lara Cameron and Tegan Rose design and screen print an assortment of lovely cotton and hemp blended fabrics. With a timeless approach, the pair's designs are inspired by nature and their surrounding city scape, then developed by hand and printed using organic and solvent free inks in beautiful earthy tones. Their distinctive textiles are primarily for the home and while they sell a small range of textiles, many buy the fabric by the metre to create lampshades, custom cushions, table runners, bedlinen and reupholster well loved furniture. Immerse yourself in their full collection here and find someone with some sewing skills quick smart!

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Ha! I only need one: GINGER.

What was your childhood dream?
Tricky question - how far back are we talking here? When I was little I wanted to be a ballerina, then an astronaut, then a painter, then a racecar driver, then a ceramacist, then a dressmaker, then a show jumping champion, then a teacher, then a rockstar... in fact, I think I still want to be all of those things! Except the rockstar, alas I lack musical talent.


What led you down your current path?
My insatiable need to create. When I was a teenager I heard there was a magical place called ‘art school’ where you could go and just paint all day! Amazing! So I art school became my goal. I received my diploma of visual art in Warrnambool (which was awesome and nurturing) then went on to do a bachelor of fine art in the city(which wasn’t). Unfortunately, by undertaking my BA of Fine Art I discovered the art world is full of pretentious so-&-so’s, and my lecturer’s cured me of ever wanting to be a part of that world. So became a secondary school teacher, which was amazing! I loved that job, but in the end you give all your creative energy to your beloved, ratbag students, so when I met Lara and we threw around the idea to open up a studio it seemed like a no-brainer.

 

What do you love most about what you do?
It’s all the amazing people I get to meet and all the beautiful friendships that have developed from those meetings. That and I get to bring my beloved hound dog to work every day!

Where do feel most inspired?
At my childhood home in the country, surrounded by Australian native plants and animals (my mother is passionate about native flora and fauna).


Who do you admire?
Captain Paul Watson of Sea Shepherd. My parents, Graeme and Felicite Wylie of Notorious. Emily Wright of Nancybird. My studio buddy, Abby Seymour - she is a creative genius. My amazing partner, Ryan Hodge - he is a creative genius, too.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
From a business perspective, I suppose the biggest one is always going to be cashflow!

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
Probably when Nina (from our favourite Melbourne-made TV show, Offspring) had fake TV sex with a fake TV doctor on our bed linen! That was pretty hilarious. 


What is your idea of happiness?
Living completely off the grid, in a strawbale house, somewhere close to the ocean.

What's next?
Well, I have a massive amount of printing to do, so I’m going to mix some ink!

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - Something in Spanish, I need to practice!
Watch - Boardwalk Empire.
Cook - tacos! They go perfectly with mezcal.
Create - Something! My sewing and knitting machines are current fave’s.
Listen to - Chet Faker, Black Keys, Half Moon Run.
Dream about - Running away to be a pirate.