Sunday, 4 November 2012

profile aqua door designs - angela richardson.

 
angela richardson of aqua door design
Perhaps symbolic of all the new doors she was set to open, when Angela Richardson launched Aqua Door Designs she painted her front door aqua too. Bright, bold and cheerful, aqua is just one of the many colours Angela uses amongst a lively palette of jade, navy, yellow, baby blue and mint green fabric screen printed in gold, fluro pink, bright blue and silver ink. Based in Brisbane, Angela first fell in love with design and screen printing and after honing her skills at several workshops including one run by fellow Brisbane designer Thea Samios. Recently giving up her day job to focus solely on Aqua Door Designs, couches everywhere are set to benefit from her beautiful geometric print cushion covers

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Busy, mum, multi-tasker, foodie, shopper and lover of fine things.

What was your childhood dream?
I had two very unrelated dreams (a) to be the lucky person who made the craft props and artwork for the play school sets on ABC and (b) to be like ONJ (Olivia Newton-John), I adored her.


What led you down your current path?
While visiting Life Instyle in Sydney a few years ago with a friend, I was inspired by all the stallholders, mainly women, who had started their own business doing something creative that they loved.

What do you love most about what you do?
Being able to work from home allows me to juggle family commitments. I love the process of design and printing, it’s so rewarding to see a new design being printed.


Who do you admire?
Small business owners who had a dream and made it happen. Women who juggle work and family are very inspiring.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
Limited space is a big challenge.  

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
This happens frequently – receiving lovely feedback from happy customers and seeing my cushions in magazines or blogs. It’s all amazing!


What are your top creative resources?
I am a magazine addict (home, design, fashion and food) – I have stacks of old magazines that I cannot bare to throw out, and I constantly flick through them for inspiration.

What is your idea of happiness?
Family, friends, good health and good food.


What's next?
So much … seriously I have so many ideas about pattern, design, products, colours. It’s just a matter of experimenting as to what eventuates first.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – I have a mild obsession with English period/royalty/aristocracy. Philippa Gregory is a favourite author
Watch- The kids play and dance
Cook - I love to cook. Saturday night is usually our night in where we take the time to really enjoy cooking and eating a nice meal with often too many wines.
Create - Something crafty with the kids
Listen to - I’m told my playlist is terrible – it’s a strange mix of cheesy 80s, some ‘theme songs’ from the 90s and melancholic songs.
Dream about- Renovating and holidays.
Look forward to- Experimenting with my ideas for Aqua door Designs … and renovating and holidays.