Monday, 6 August 2012

profile justine fahd - upon a fold.

justine fahd of upon a fold
A paper devotee for as long as she can remember - cutting, folding, shaping and colouring an array of creations - it was a dream come true for Justine Fahd to open her own paper store Upon a Fold. Since embarking on her papery journey Justine has travelled to Japan (the heart of paper art) to source products, learn about paper and meet the artisans who create the incredible stationery, cards, wrapping and object de'art she stocks. Check out the range here. If you love stationery prepare to go a little crazy. Next on the agenda is a range designed by Justine.... 

How would you describe yourself?
Curious, creative, purposeful, contemplative, caring.

What was your childhood dream?
To work with Dian Fossey to help save mountain gorillas. I used to spend all my pocket money decorating my bedroom to look like a jungle, complete with a Sounds of the Forest tape (I’m not joking). It makes me laugh when I think about it now.
                                           
What led you down your current path?
A strong desire to work on something I love and something that makes me happy everyday.

What do you love most about what you do?
Having the freedom to be where I want to be and do what I want to do. I have always struggled working in offices doing the 9 till 5 thing. I enjoy the diversity that comes with being self-employed. My role changes everyday. Some days I’m a graphic designer or a buyer or a seller or a photographer or a blogger or errand runner… the list goes on.

What kick-started your love of beautiful papery goods?
I would say it was the moment I made my own sheet of paper using a papermaking kit I was given as a child. It was love at first sight.
                                         
Do you have a favourite paper creation you've designed?
I’ve started sketching and playing with ideas for a few paper goods I’d like to create for Upon A Fold next year. They have got my heart racing.

Where do feel most inspired?
Definitely it’s when I’m travelling. Most likely somewhere in Japan.

Who do you admire?
Inventors and explorers. I would like to be both!  
                                            
What challenges have you had to overcome?
Starting and maintaining Upon A Fold on a very small budget. And learning to find ways of not letting that budget hold back good ideas.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
The opportunities I’ve had come from Japan have been incredible. I’ve spent time with amazingly talented designers, been given a tour of my all time favourite paper factory and been invited to make paper with my favourite artist in the most picturesque paper making town just outside of Tokyo.
snapshots of justine's journey 
paper creator Chiaki Morita
What are your top creative resources?
I subscribe to so many blogs (probably too many) and I really don’t have a top 4. My greatest resources would have to be Google, twitter, blogs and things found whilst travelling.

What is your idea of happiness?
Freedom.       
                                          
What's next?
Lots of things. Papery things. Stay tuned!

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – Something from the large leaning tower of books on my bedside table. Mostly non-fiction.
Watch- Something other than a screen.
Cook- Delicious wholesome food that I generally don’t have time to cook on weekdays.
Create- Crafty things with my little niece and nephew.
Listen to- The ocean at one of Sydney’s beautiful beaches.
Dream about- Travelling and more travelling!
Look forward to- Spending time with Matt my husband.