Friday, 20 July 2012

profile emma cleine lumiere art + co.

lumiere art + co. limited edition art prints
  
 
 
lumiere art + co. tea towels
- too nice to use on dishes!
lumiere art + co. mandala cushions and limited edition art print
photos armelle habib - styling julia green
lumiere art + co. mandala cushions
photos armelle habib - styling julia green

 emma cleine of lumiere art + co.
Who doesn't love a few pom poms? Certainly not Emma Cleine the creative talent behind Lumiere Art + Co. Studying fine art before working as a teacher, last year Emma decided to devote more time to her passion and produce pieces she loves. Starting out creating vintage paper flags, Emma's since proven her design skills across various mediums including wooden objects, limited edition prints, artworks and textiles. Destined to become treasured pieces in any home, her delicate lace inspired designs come in beautiful a colour palette - which can prove troublesome if you are trying to limit your selection to just one. I don't know if it is too early yet, but I am thinking a mandala cushion may just be the first addition to my Christmas wishlist. Check out where you can buy Lumiere Art + Co here.  

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Busy, thoughtful, fun, hardworking and romantic.

What was your childhood dream?
To simply ‘make’. I always wanted to be an artist and designer.

What led you down your current path?
Having my son, Lenny. Taking 6 months maternity leave from teaching allowed me to assess what I wanted to get out of life. I’m so passionate about art and design and spent 10 years talking about it, it was about time I did something to contribute to it!

What do you love most about what you do?
The flexibility to continually change what I make. It’s just my hands and me! Nothing about what I do is ever a drag or monotonous. I don’t rely on manufacturing. I love processes and designing my work around a technique I’m into at that particular point in time. I like blurring the line of craft, art and decoration.

Where do you seek inspiration?
I don’t screen print so my designs are guided by what is possible by using a printing press. I like to take a concept and expand it through exploration. Visiting galleries inspire me.

Who do you admire?
I love Australian artists Sally Smart, Lisa Roet, Louise Weaver, DelKathryn Barton and Cherry Hood. Stewart Russell of Spacecraft (I have two!) and my bestie and artist Pia Blair of little land of pia, who I went to Art School with. I also admire my Mum and Nana.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
Not being confident in my work or believing that people may actually like what I do. I’ve also had an ongoing battle, which I think derives from my 90’s cynicism about art vs. craft, commercial work vs. real art. I’ve completely made peace with that battle now.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
A couple. Buying a copy of Home Beautiful with my home featured whilst stealing a 5-minute break from a photo shoot of my new collection. Attending Life Instyle at the start of this year, delivering 11 artworks to Jardan that were then shipped to their Brisbane showroom. Amazing! Still can’t believe it.

What are your top creative resources?
1. Julia Green, a stylist and extrodonaire behind Greenhouse Interiors.
2. Artist, Jos Law. Jos’ forte is assemblage. Her enthusiasm is infectious and gusto to ‘make’ and not be precious has made me follow the direction I’m going now. She taught me to not worry about doing commercial work and to apply fine art skills to all that I do.
3. A beautiful old book of wallpaper designs from the 1920’s
4. I love Inside Out magazine. I have been a subscriber forever.

What dream do you still want to fulfil?
I aspire to have a solo exhibition of artworks in the next two years, have stockists overseas and have a studio to call my own! Yep, I’m still lacking in the workspace department. My kitchen table is my studio and it drives me crazy! I would also really like to collaborate with another designer.

What's next?
A more extensive range of lino print patterns printed onto fabric and a few commercial commissions. I’m already thinking of a collection of artworks and soft furnishings for Winter 2013.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to do:
Catch up on everything, enjoy my gorgeous friends, eat, drink, beach and dream.

Read – I wish I could real off a long list of incredibly intellectual titles or few Penguin Classics, but to be honest, since Lumiere Art + Co, I haven’t had time to read a good novel which is terrible!
Watch - The last film I watched was Jane Eyre and before that a French film called Ricky. I also enjoy a staple diet of True Blood, Mad Men, Big Love, Girls, Dexter and Offspring.
Cook - Consistently recipes from Guy Mirabella and Nigella Lawson. I love Guy’s ricotta gnocchi.
Create - Everyday.
Listen to - XX, Bon Iver, Kanye West and Sally Seltman.
Dream about - Finishing everything I have on the go. Travelling to Greece.
Look forward to - Seeing my little boy grow up and nurturing Lumiere Art + Co. so it becomes everything I want it to be.