Tuesday, 19 June 2012

profile melissa conroy wire artist.

wire artist melissa conroy   photos stuart quinn
a wire sculpture of Melissa's dog Ol
red wire work
flock of birds
a snapshot of melissa's studio
more works in progress
wire dogs



Melissa also paints
Melissa muse, her beautiful dog Ol
Melissa's worked featured in the latest edition of Home Beautiful
Another shot of Melissa's work featured in Home Beautiful
I am very excited to feature the work of wire artist and painter Melissa Conroy. I was absolutely in awe of Melissa's work when I first spied it in homewares store Finders Keepers and was lucky enough to visit her home studio which is full of her wire sculptures and paintings. Since we met last year I've snapped up several of Melissa's wire creations and I've also had the pleasure of meeting her equally talented parents whose home I profiled for Home Beautiful. Click here for a peak. This month's Home Beautiful features another house her parents designed and built, which now belongs to good friends, who like me are enamored by Melissa's work and commissioned quite a few pieces which grace walls and shelves. I think what I love most about Melissa's work is how well she captures the expression and the inquisitive nature of animals, so simply yet so cleverly, with nothing by wire.



How would you describe yourself in five words?
Happy, creative, busy, social and cheeky.

What was your childhood dream?
To become an artist.

What led you down your current path?
Making wire heads for my sisters (Carmen Blyth)jewellery exhibition in Tasmania.

What do you love most about what you do?
I can lie on the couch and create wire pieces.

Where do you seek inspiration?
Talking art with friends, magazines and galleries.

Who do you admire?
My parents, Gordon and Robyn, who are both very creative and clever.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
Better communication with commission jobs.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
Seeing an image of my work in a bookshop in St Kilda.

What dream do you still want to fulfil?
Have an exhibition of all of my creative works.

What's next?
Learning how to weld.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read – Fiction.
Watch - Movies & Japanese animation.
Cook - Warm winter soup.
Create - Anything that takes my fancy.
Listen to – Alternative and folk.
Dream about – More hours in a day.
Look forward to – Sundays at home.