Friday, 8 June 2012

profile camilla d'antoine - mozi.

MOZI duo sisters camilla d'antoine and olivia tipler

wild wonderland collection
































































































































































































MOZI hare melamine plate
MOZI penguin melamine plate
MOZI knitted cushions
MOZI knitted throw in blue
MOZI hare gumboots and doormat
MOZI plywood fox tray

MOZI polar bear doormat
MOZI rhubarb collection reed diffuser and candle

Sisters Camilla d'Antoine and Olivia Tipler have come a long way since starting out in their parents garage with the dream of launching their own homewares label. Seven years later MOZI is a household name and is sold around the world. With an enormous collection ranging from melamine plates and teatowels, to heat bags, gumboots and stationery their colourful designs are a beautiful collision of pattern, colour and whimsical designs. Their current wild wonderland collection features "endearing arctic animals, elements reminiscent of nature's untouched forest" and a hare who I believe was inspired their beloved childhood pet Peter Rabbit. Checkout the entire range here and see below for and interview with Camilla.

How would you describe yourself in five words?
Creative, driven, happy, ambitious, enthusiastic.

What was your childhood dream?
To be famous! No matter what I had to do - I didn’t care. The dream was just to be famous.

What led you down your current path?
My sister and I have always had an interest in product and design but didn’t really think to pursue it initially. I established a career in advertising, while Olivia worked in IT, however, in 2003 we noticed a gap in the homewares market that we thought we could fill.

We wanted to create our own products that were beautiful but a bit edgier than what was currently out there and also make them appeal to a younger market. In 2005 we both quit our jobs to focus solely on our first collection for MOZI, ‘The Secret Garden’ and since then we’ve never looked back! We’ve continued to make products that not only have a point of difference but that we love and would have on display in our homes.

What do you love most about what you do?
Everyday is different, that’s what keeps it exciting! I’m constantly faced with new challenges to overcome; whether it’s production, design or management related. There’s always something to be done however it's creative, fun and enjoyable! I also love that my job allows me to meet so many amazing people along the way. 

Where do you seek inspiration?
Definitely from travel and all things exotic! I also look to old books for inspiration and love going to my parent’s farm three hours from Melbourne -  They have the most beautiful property down there with lots of birdlife and animals which is a perfect haven to seek inspiration. 

Who do you admire?
I’d have to say my Mum and Dad. Dad would always push us to try new things and be courageous, while Mum was always encouraging us to pursue things that would make us happy. My husband is pretty incredible too – I admire his even temperament and happy nature.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
There are a few. Juggling motherhood and work has definitely been a huge challenge and finding the right balance hasn’t always been easy - especially with MOZI continuing to grow. I’m constantly learning as I go, trying to do the best thing for both my children and the business. The tough economic environment has also been a difficult challenge but we've managed to stay true to ourselves as designers and our brand whilst continuing to deliver great product to the MOZI audience.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
That’s easy, the first one was when I saw MOZI’s kitchen products in Liberty London – I couldn’t believe it! Having the MOZI candles featured in Anthropology magazine was another wow moment as it's one of my favorite magazines.

What are you top creative resources?
1. Golden hands - A sewing book from the 70’s, I have all 25 books!
4. John Denver

What dream do you still want to fulfil?
Travel, travel and more travel. I dream about visiting so many more places. I'm actually off to Bali this week for a holiday with my family but I’d love to get to Turkey next!

What's next?
That’s a hard one…I think just to be part of MOZI's next phase of growth and the expansion of the MOZI brand - So much happening, stay tuned! 

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Watch: Tinkerbell with my daughter
Cook: Soups and lamb shanks.
Create: Quilting.
Listen to: John Denver (I just love John’s music).
Dream about: Travel…always!
Look forward to: Being with my family.