Friday, 4 May 2012

profile sarah power - oh mabel.

Sarah Power of Oh Mabel 


Beautiful Oh Mabel Bedlinen.
All photos courtesy of the talented Erin Dando from Dandophoto






Oh my...Sarah Power is one talented lady and a true go-getter. Rather than sit around waiting for her dream life to magically fall into place, she set about creating it herself by carving out a niche designing beautiful bedlinen and launching her label Oh Mabel. Made from luxurious GOTS certified organic cotton sateen the linen feels as good as it looks. Hand printed in a mix of whimsical colours and reversible pattern combinations the quilts and sheets certainly make doona days even more alluring. See here for a peak at Sarah's full collection.

How would you describe yourself?
Dreamer, a do-er, unpredictable, loyal, calm chaotic
What was your childhood dream?
To be a famous race horse owner! As I got older I decided I wanted to be Edina off Absolutely Fabulous. Apparently I like the flamboyant!

What led you down your current path?
I had been working in the corporate world since I left school and waiting for the big epiphany to come that would tell me what I want to do with my life. During my 30th year I took the opportunity of saying ‘yes’ to new situations and experiences and ended up learning that you need to be actually living your life, not waiting, for the epiphany to come. From that point on, I started putting separate parts of my life together and the ball started rolling and became Oh Mabel. I still have a corner in the corporate world but I now get to live the life of a creator and a business owner and everyday I am forging out my own lifestyle.

What do you love most about what you do?
I love creating bed linen that will hopefully become part of a family, I love telling people what I do and amazed reactions, I love packing up parcels and wondering where they are off to and I love the possibility of what could be next. I love that it’s up to me.

Where do you seek inspiration?
Life, memories, strangers clothing, vintage fabrics.

Who do you admire?
My family and friends, and people I meet on a daily basis. Everyone has a story and experiences all of their own and I admire how people react to situations and live their lives.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
My own expectations and beliefs. I don’t say “I can’t do that” anymore,I say “how can I make that happen”.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
The day four pallets of bed linen arrived on my door stop. That was definitely a “what have I done” moment. I’m not sure if I realised how far I had come or how much I have put into motion for this moment to happen and it all came as a shock! And then I sat down, said wow, and started packing away the boxes and I haven’t looked back since.

What are your top creative resources?
Vintage fabrics.
Pinterest – any keyword can start hours of inspiration
Magazines and blogs featuring real homes
Childrens' Books – I always pick up a huge pile of old
childrens' books from Lifeline bookfairs. The illustrations range from quirky to beautiful details, as do the stories.

What dream do you still want to fulfil?
For Oh Mabel to be a recognised brand for unique and character filled bedlinen. And to have a little hobby farm with my husband and family with a retired race horse and a whole swag of farm animals!

What's next?
The next step for Mabel is to launch a new range by the end of the year and for her personality and character to grow a little more. We are also looking at growing our wholesale side, it is exciting seeing Mabel out in the gorgeous boutique stores we have country-wide.

What's next? When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - My “stories” – my long list of design and lifestyle blogs.
Watch - Arrested Development, my husband has it on repeat at the moment.
Cook - There’s always a roast cooking on the weekend.
Create - An adventure. We usually like to jump in the car for a mini-roadtrip. This weekend it’s the Pumpkin Festival!
Listen to- David Bowie.
Dream about- What life will be like in three months time.
Look forward to - our first baby due in three months!