Saturday, 12 May 2012

profile love mae.


Emily Chamberlain and Peta O'Neill of Love Mae
Once upon a time it was a little naughty to stick stickers on the wall. But those days are over, particularly if the stickers you are using are the beautifully designed fabric wall decals from Love Mae. Since launching four years ago, Love Mae's super sweet designs have transformed many blank walls and with an expanding product range which now includes mini decals, melamine dinner ware, wrapping paper and children's organic bed linen it seems a lot of people (myself included)Love Mae! One of the talented ladies behind the label, Emily Chamberlain, shares a little about her creative journey so far.


How would you describe yourself?
Quirky, genuine, creative, analytical and a little bit goofy.
What was your childhood dream?
My childhood dream was actually to be an artist. I loved paper craft, painting and drawing. I also wanted to write a book, be a singer and dance but realised later in life I had none of these talents.
What led you down your current path?
I am only 23 and started this business when I was 19. So for me it was some small choices in life that lead to another. I chose to study graphic design, something I loved and was passionate about on the Gold Coast, which was a sacrifice as I lived far away and had to commute everyday. But the reward was so much greater than the sacrifice as the opportunities that came about lead me to where I am today.

What do you love most about what you do?
I love the thought of our product being on the other side of the world and inspiring others.

Where do you seek inspiration?
I am drawn to photography, textiles, colours, quotes and nature. I love the moment of pure inspiration. It often comes when I don't expect it or when I take a moment out from a busy day to breathe and relax.

Who do you admire?
I admire my friends and family. They are incredible people who constantly teach me new ways to enjoy life. Creatively I admire artist Lauren Carney, she is so young but so talented.

What challenges have you had to overcome?
I have had to learn a lot! Starting a business when you're 19 isn’t the most easiest thing to do. I have had to learn how to put on a business cap but also a creative cap. Balancing life and work is a challenge. They can quite easily mush into the one if I am not strict and diligent to separate the two.

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
Ha just recently actually. Peta and I were just in Hong Kong for a business trip. We bought a Chinese magazine off the street as a souvenir. We were on our way home at the airport browsing the magazine. Peta was looking over my shoulder and all of a sudden we squealed as we just found an article on Mae! We were filled with so much joy, it was definitely a pinch moment.

What are your top creative resources?
I am a sucker for creative resources. Our favourites are:
1. Frankie Magazine 
2. Creature Comforts Blog
3. Vintage stores 
4. Pinterest
What dream do you still want to fulfil?
I want to own my own little cottage by the sea with my pet bulldog Rosie.
What's next?
What’s not next is more the question. Peta is very ambitious and always thinking up the next master plan. I love that about her. We have new designs being released and a big surprise new product release at the end of this year or the start of next year.