Monday, 28 May 2012

profile keren brown - the brown trading co.

keren brown diamond pink & orange cushion
keren brown green cockatoo, hamilton green and elephant & tiger aria cushions

keren brown pink cockatoo, avalon pink and elephant & tiger aria cushions
keren brown pineapples and elephant & tiger aria cushions

keren brown diamond turquoise cushions
A lifelong passion for interiors and a close bond with her brother Gavin was the impetus for Keren Brown to merge business with pleasure, three years ago, and launch homewares company The Brown Trading Co.
A love of bright, fresh, hues and prints informs the collection which includes Elephant & Tiger and Bungalow table linen, cushions, quilts and fabric, as well as Keren's own designs which feature bold geometric patterns and hand painted designs including spiky pineapples and equally spiky crested cockatoos. Inspired by the likes of Tricia Guild and Terrance Conran her cheery textiles form the cherry on top of beautiful white interiors. You can take a peak at her favourite colour palettes and beloved golden retriever Humphrey on her blog.

How would you describe yourself?
Honest, genuine, creative, busy, empathetic.

What was your childhood dream?
To be a princess – isn’t Harry still single? There’s hope for me yet.

What led you down your current path?
Gavin (my brother and business partner) and I are from an entrepreneurial family so it’s kind of in our blood to think outside the square, see opportunities, take risks and go for it. It was essentially an idea I had, discussed it with Gav and we started this crazy roller-coaster ride that is our business.

What do you love most about what you do?
The freedom to drive our business to be whatever we want it to be. We love not having boundaries and working for ourselves.


Where do you seek inspiration?
Internet, blogs, Pinterest, Books, magazines, friends, fashion, travel.

Who do you admire?
So many people from fashion designers, interior designers, actors etc like most people, but essentially I really admire people who have an idea, throw their passion behind it and give it all they’ve got.


What challenges have you had to overcome?
Running a small business is very challenging on so many levels. We have made sacrifices financially to back ourselves and have amazing support from family and friends. I have had some serious injuries I the past two years and have run the business from hospital a few times and even exhibited at a trade fair in a wheel chair with a shattered leg – that was challenging to say the least!

What's been a 'pinch yourself' moment?
Seeing our collections in beautiful stores is always a thrill and sometimes I have to remind myself that yes we did that. I have had quite a few pinch myself moments from people recognising me (which I find quite fun but doesn’t happen all the time) in restaurants or cafes. I remember our first trade fair and we were high fiving when we secured a store that we really wanted our products to be in. I’ve even had a tear or two when certain things come through and we kick a winner!


What are your top creative resources?
iTunes because I can download whatever I feel like at the time.


What dream do you still want to fulfil?
I dream of a 1950’s beach shack near the water that I can renovate and decorate and live in with Humphrey my golden retriever.

What's next?
We have so many exciting things in the pipeline including new collections being released at Life in Style in Melbourne in August and some gorgeous new designs currently in development.

When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - I am a huge reader so I always have a book on the go.
Watch - Gossip Girl,I know I’m addicted.
Cook - I love to cook and bake, yesterday it was cold so I whipped up a classic Pumpkin soup.
Create- new designs in my head.
Listen to- Norah Jones, Feist, Van Morrison, Florence and the Machine, Pete Murray.
Dream about- That 1950’s beach shack.
Look forward to- Implementing all the crazy ideas that float around in my head at 2.00am.