Tuesday, 24 April 2012

profile shannon garson ceramicist.

Shannon Garson
lepto and glass pieces

wallum map

wallum teapot

small brushbox bowls






There's crockery and then there is the pieces produced by ceramic artist Shannnon Garson. Beautifully delicate, her vessels are tactile canvasses adorned with colour and hand drawn elements which reflect Shannon's love of nature. Although her works are stunning objets de'art, Shannon's passion lies in creating pieces which are functional, as well as beautiful, and can be appreciated and used daily. From the weight and texture of the piece, to the drawing, colour and smoothness of the glaze, every element plays a part in experiencing the true beauty of her work. A cup of tea surely has to taste better poured from pots which look this good. Shannon also has a very talented husband who you can read about here.
How would you describe yourself?  
Imaginative, diligent, dreamy, happy and loving.
What was your childhood dream?
To live in the country and be an artist.


What led you down your current path?
My childhood dream! Although originally I wanted to be a painter. After three years studying art at university I began decorating ceramics for a small Brisbane studio, I loved how the ceramics and the drawings worked together on domestic pot, so my focus changed and I became a potter.

What do you love most about what you do?
I love working from home and being independent. I love the earthy, strangely clean smell of wet clay and I love the thought of thousands of bowls, cups and teapots that I’ve made being out in the world, quietly sitting on people’s shelves and being used every day.
Where do you seek inspiration?
The environment is my greatest inspiration. A few years ago I began to look closely at the wallum (coastal heath) ecosystem. What originally appears as a dry, scrubby landscape is actually full of amazing things like flashing iridescent Rainbow Bee Eaters and carnivorous plants.

Who do you admire?
I admire Viennese potter Lucie Rie for her commitment to a lifetime of creating beautiful, wheelthrown pots. Jeanette Winterson for the way she sculpts words, turning a sentence about a mundane topic into a thought about the wider world. Louis Theroux for his unquenchable interest in humanity and ability to see through the superficial and find what we all share rather than what divides us.


What challenges have you had to overcome?
Becoming a mother and continuing to work during my children’s early years was very hard. Pushing yourself as an artist takes a lot of time, which is in very short supply for parents. I’m still learning to accept that I will always be doing things “at the last minute”, that in fact, the phrase ”at the last minute” isn’t even relevant to my life anymore. At=as, there is no alternative way of doing things, I’m always just arriving places barely on time, with stuff spilling out of my bag, thoughts disordered and, possibly, some food that I, myself did not actually eat plastered to my clothing!


What are your top creative resources?
I love the cooking, gardening and life blog “Whole Larder Love 
I’ve been listening to the strange tales in the songs of “Passenger 
And I’m always reading. The latest book I’ve loved was “The Eyes of the Skin” by Juhani Palasma and the book I always love to re-read every few years is “The Green Knight” by Iris Murdoch.

What dream do you still want to fulfil?
I’d love to write a book, like the best cookbook you’ve ever read but about creativity, making art, nature and how I live this strange, creative life.
What's next?
I am showing an exhibition of porcelain, jewellery, photography and glass work inspired by the wallum swamps at Noosa Regional Gallery. This has been a three year project with jeweller Rebecca Ward, we studied the beautiful, wild wallum landscape and have been exhibiting the works from this project around Australia.

The next exhibition and sale of jewellery and porcelain artworks.
will be at the Noosa Regional Gallery from May 9th - June 30th, 2012.


When the weekend rolls around what do you love to:
Read - Greg Malouf’s cookbooks “Saraban “ and “Turquoise.”
Watch- “Justified” based on Elmore Leonard short stories.
Cook- Fresh pasta, with buffalo mozzarella and basil.
Create- A huge mess of newspapers, novels and cookbooks next to the couch!
Listen to- Bach’s Cello Suites.
Dream about- Italy and Turkey.
Look forward to- Hanging about at home with my husband Trevor and the kids for one more day!