Friday, 6 April 2012

Happy Easter.



Egg cups from Bed Bath N' Table

For many Easter is the perfect excuse to indulge in lots of chocolate, but for me it is time to feast on hot cross buns. I LOVE them. I don't mind that they have been in supermarkets since January, I am happy for them to appear on boxing day.
I am not a big fan of the non-tradition varieties though. I don't want my hot cross buns to be mocha flavoured, filled with chocolate, or devoid of fruit - what is the point of a fruitless hot cross bun?
For the allergy conscious I do approve of legitimate alternatives and this easter I have been on the hunt for spelt hot cross buns. So far I've been on to the Noosa Farmers' markets (after I had a tip off) and visited several bakeries but as yet I've had no luck. Undeterred I am heading back to the markets on Sunday to secure some buns!
In the meantime I might give this recipe ago and substitute spelt for standard flour. 
From Mozi
If it fails I'll still have a lovely tea towel to wash the dishes.

Enjoy your easter break.